Night Societe
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Any "good fun" Anime series out there?

+2
zex
SHMUPGurus
6 posters

Go down

Any "good fun" Anime series out there? Empty Any "good fun" Anime series out there?

Post by SHMUPGurus Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:36 pm

Hey guys! Recently, I've been doing nothing but watching Anime all day (yay?). I've found some good series with some pretty good takes on the usual "philosophical" themes. I won't say I hate this, but I'd really like to watch something else once in a while. I kind of want to watch ones that are just good fun with no hard stuff (with the English subs, it's sometimes hard to comprehend everything anyways...).

So, for some reason, I remembered you guys watched a little one called Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann a few months ago, and one of the members here said that it was not worth watching. He did only watch a few episodes though... I asked some other friends about good Anime series out there to watch and they kept suggesting me to watch this one (and I didn't even know some the Courage Wolf advices came from that series, another reason to watch it!). Now, I've just finished it, and to be honest, I really REALLY liked it! There were gigantic explosions, enormous robots throwing planets/galaxies at other enormous robots (seriously, wtf?!), funny quotes that sometimes didn't even make sense, sudden zoom-ins on certain female body parts (Hey, what do you expect? I'm a guy!), etc.. It also felt like playing a video game, with bosses and final bosses... All-around, it was awesome and I'm glad I finally decided to watch it!

With all this said, is there any other series like that one, or is Gurren Lagann the ultimate "random" one? Thanks in advance!
SHMUPGurus
SHMUPGurus

https://www.youtube.com/SHMUPGurus

Back to top Go down

Any "good fun" Anime series out there? Empty Re: Any "good fun" Anime series out there?

Post by zex Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:02 am

I'm debating on whether to give you a minus or not for liking Gurren Lagann. Also, you can mention my name Wink

As for a new series, we'll be watching supposedly a new series in the anime night that will be more "comedic", so maybe it'll be worth joining if you can make it
zex
zex

Back to top Go down

Any "good fun" Anime series out there? Empty Re: Any "good fun" Anime series out there?

Post by SHMUPGurus Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:13 am

Haha, yeah... if I can make it. :/

Pluses are always good!
SHMUPGurus
SHMUPGurus

Back to top Go down

Post by iclim4 Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:25 pm

Haha, yeah.
TTGL is awesome with those "fuck yeah" moments.
Especially at the end with the last bost battle. That was intense.
Unfortunately, it's an anime that isn't for some fans because it's not meant to be "Mature" though it does cover certain themes.
And you came in with the right mindset that it's a show meant to enjoyed lightheartedly.
iclim4
iclim4

Back to top Go down

Post by SHMUPGurus Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:59 pm

Yup, at least I tried... This thread will give you all the answers about how I feel about the game: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=82292 . I wrote two posts in it, they're not too hard to find!

I played the game when I was in high school (don't remember what grade I was in though), and I tried to play it again when I found out that my computer could run PSX games on emulators. That was four years ago if I recall correctly.

*EDIT: Ah, you edited your post about FFIX. o_O
SHMUPGurus
SHMUPGurus

Back to top Go down

Post by iclim4 Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:02 pm

Haha, my bad.
Figured I didn't want to derail a thread talking about Tengen Toppa since we rarely have those. =P

I've heard the movie(least the second part) does a better job of telling TTGL's story.
iclim4
iclim4

Back to top Go down

Post by SHMUPGurus Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:40 pm

There's a movie? I have to download it nao! o_O
SHMUPGurus
SHMUPGurus

Back to top Go down

Post by iclim4 Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:40 pm

2nd one isn't out yet, save for theaters.
I think it comes out on DVD and will be subbed at the end of this year.
Ample time for you to forget about the series a bit and rewatch it.
I plan on rewatching it winter break.
iclim4
iclim4

Back to top Go down

Post by c03n3nj0 Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:06 pm

Watch Ponyo. 1 hour and 40 minute movie by Studio Ghibli can't go wrong.

How about FMP fumoffu? Dunno if you seen it.

Last edited by c03n3nj0 on Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
c03n3nj0
c03n3nj0

Character sheet
Health:
Any "good fun" Anime series out there? Left_bar_bleue25/25Any "good fun" Anime series out there? Empty_bar_bleue  (25/25)
Magic:
Any "good fun" Anime series out there? Left_bar_bleue0/0Any "good fun" Anime series out there? Empty_bar_bleue  (0/0)
EXP: 9

Back to top Go down

Post by SHMUPGurus Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:18 pm

Ponyo, it's that thing in your avatar? I've seen the trailer, it looks interesting.

And nope, I don't even know what a fumoffu is. o_O
SHMUPGurus
SHMUPGurus

Back to top Go down

Post by Saki Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:34 pm

If you havent already decided Needless is currently airing and its very similar to Gurren Laggan imo. The crazy art and the exaggeration to everything in it. This is much more light hearted than Gurren Laggan. Just a bunch of over the top fights, loli pantsu, fanservice, and tons of randomness. Its really funny.

Another one I can recommend is School Rumble. Easily the funniest show I have ever seen. Its a school, romance, comedy show. I cant put into words how farting awesome and funny this anime is. The first episode should leave a good impression.

Last edited by Saki on Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Saki
Saki

http://myanimelist.net/profile/LOVEoo

Back to top Go down

Post by c03n3nj0 Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:36 pm

Yes, yes it is ponyo!

Well, I guess you haven't seen Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu is kinda like a spin-off.

Full Metal Panic is good too, it's kinda light-hearted with giant mechs.
c03n3nj0
c03n3nj0

Character sheet
Health:
Any "good fun" Anime series out there? Left_bar_bleue25/25Any "good fun" Anime series out there? Empty_bar_bleue  (25/25)
Magic:
Any "good fun" Anime series out there? Left_bar_bleue0/0Any "good fun" Anime series out there? Empty_bar_bleue  (0/0)
EXP: 9

Back to top Go down

Post by SHMUPGurus Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:29 pm

Oh, I see what you mean now. I started watching FMP with a few friends a few months ago, but we never finished it (stupid homework and stuff). I'll finish it first and watch Fumoffu after!

Thanks for the suggestions guys!
SHMUPGurus
SHMUPGurus

Back to top Go down

Post by SciFiBoy Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:22 pm

good fun?

K-On! comes to mind, lol, also you should watch The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Season 1
SciFiBoy
SciFiBoy

Character sheet
Health:
Any "good fun" Anime series out there? Left_bar_bleue20/20Any "good fun" Anime series out there? Empty_bar_bleue  (20/20)
Magic:
EXP: 10

http://myanimelist.net/animelist/SciFiBoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down