Night Societe
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PS3 hacked for real ?

3 posters

Go down

PS3 hacked for real ? Empty PS3 hacked for real ?

Post by El Duderino Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:59 am

"George Hotz (a.k.a. geohot), the hacker best known for unlocking Apple's iPhone, confirmed today that he has managed to bypass the Playstation 3's hypervisor protection and gained unrestricted access to the console's processor.

"I have read/write access to the entire system memory, and HV level access to the processor. In other words, I have hacked the PS3" Hotz wrote on his personal blog. "The rest is just software. And reversing. I have a lot of reversing ahead of me, as I now have dumps of LV0 and LV1. I've also dumped the NAND without removing it or a modchip."

"Took 5 weeks, 3 in Boston, 2 here, very simple hardware cleverly applied, and some not so simple software."

Hotz didn't reveal the details of his hack yet. He described the hack as unpatchable, but warned that Sony can make implementations much harder. Expect to hear more soon about this hack and its implementation to allow homebrew and backup games to be run on the Playstation 3 for the first time since its launch more than 3 years ago. "

-from megagames.com

So do you guys think this will lead to homebrew software and possibly being able to play backups from your HDD ? Sound promissing but its hard to tell... I still wouldn´t get one unless it got even cheaper and I could connect it to my PC screen... and even then Im not sure...
El Duderino
El Duderino

Back to top Go down

PS3 hacked for real ? Empty Re: PS3 hacked for real ?

Post by dsister Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:33 pm

He just released how he did it

Here's your silver platter
In the interest of openness, I've decided to release the exploit. Hopefully, this will ignite the PS3 scene, and you will organize and figure out how to use this to do practical things, like the iPhone when jailbreaks were first released. I have a life to get back to and can't keep working on this all day and night.

Please document your findings on the psDevWiki. They have been a great resource so far, and with the power this exploit gives, opens tons of new stuff to document. I'd like to see the missing HV calls filled in, nice memory maps, the boot chain better documented, and progress on a 3D GPU driver. And of course, the search for a software exploit.

This is the coveted PS3 exploit, gives full memory access and therefore ring 0 access from OtherOS. Enjoy your hypervisor dumps. This is known to work with version 2.4.2 only, but I imagine it works on all current versions. Maybe later I'll write up how it works Smile

Source

Last edited by dsister on Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:43 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Changed the color of the links)
dsister
dsister

Character sheet
Health:
PS3 hacked for real ? Left_bar_bleue15/15PS3 hacked for real ? Empty_bar_bleue  (15/15)
Magic:
PS3 hacked for real ? Left_bar_bleue5/6PS3 hacked for real ? Empty_bar_bleue  (5/6)
EXP: 10

Back to top Go down

Post by Mako Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:45 pm

Interesting....

Let's see where this goes. His iPod hack was great except for the fact that newer models can't be turned off or you will have to re jail break them to turn them back on.
Mako
Mako
Admin

Character sheet
Health:
PS3 hacked for real ? Left_bar_bleue20/20PS3 hacked for real ? Empty_bar_bleue  (20/20)
Magic:
PS3 hacked for real ? Left_bar_bleue0/0PS3 hacked for real ? Empty_bar_bleue  (0/0)
EXP: 3

http://gonintendo.com/index.php

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down