Night Societe
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Six teens drown to save drowning teen; family ashore unable to help because THEY can't swim

+8
Wesslewoggle
Mako
c03n3nj0
zex
dsister
El Duderino
Alasted
damkira
12 posters

Go down

Six teens drown to save drowning teen; family ashore unable to help because THEY can't swim Empty Six teens drown to save drowning teen; family ashore unable to help because THEY can't swim

Post by damkira Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:49 am

(CNN) -- As temperatures soared Monday, the cool water of Shreveport, Louisiana's, Red River lured a group of family and friends to its banks.

In an effort to cool off, one of the teens wandered into the shallow part of the river.

At some point he slipped into deep water and started to drown.

So six more teens went to his rescue.

Only one made it back to shore.

Shreveport, Louisiana, Fire Chief Brian Crawford said as soon as the first teen was in trouble, the others instinctively rushed to help.

"Whether you can't swim or don't swim ... you're just gonna go and do what you think you have to do," he said.

The parents stood helpless on the shore and watched as their children struggled and eventually slipped under the water. The adults could not swim either.

"Imagine watching your child drown and not being able to do anything," Crawford said.

Brothers Litrelle Stewart, 18; Latevin Stewart, 15; and LaDairus Stewart, 17; and siblings Takeitha Warner, 13; JaMarcus Warner, 14; and JaTavious Warner, 17 died.

African-American children drown at a rate almost three times higher than white children, according to Make a Splash, a national child-focused water safety initiative created by the USA Swimming Foundation.

But swimming officials said the key indicator is not race, but family -- children from nonswimming households are eight times more likely to be at risk of drowning.

The divers said the river bed drops from a shallow area to about 28 feet deep. The six teens were found within 20 feet to 30 feet of each other. Though because the divers were combing through "black water," the recovery took more than two hours.

Crawford said divers were committed to retrieving the bodies, even as the night closed in.

"I'm a parent, and I can't imagine I've lost my child and then they spend the night at the bottom of a river," he said.

Authorities are trying to construct the timeline of events. Shreveport Mayor Cedric Glover said he met with the lone survivor Monday night and he is "having a rather difficult time right now, and I don't want to have any more burden placed on him or added guilt than he's already handling right now."

Police officers have spent time this summer issuing tickets, warnings and even creating barriers in an effort to keep people away from the swift Red River in Shreveport. The area is a popular spot for boaters who tie up and barbecue. But it can be a death trap for someone without a life jacket who can't swim.

"What is ironic is the Shreveport Police Department through July worked a series of enforcements to discourage people from parking and accessing that part of the river," said Glover, adding that the city does not allow recreational activities, including swimming along the banks of the river. Only boaters are allowed.

The fire chief said to honor the children's memory, he wants the public to be aware of the river's inherent danger.

"Somebody's going down to that river today, and they don't need to get in the water if they don't know how to swim or have a flotation device."

http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/08/02/louisiana.river.drowning/?hpt=T2

I'm dumbfounded that NONE of these people knew how to swim.. That's at least 9 people.. how do you go through life not knowing anyway? I thought pretty much everyone knew how...
damkira
damkira

Back to top Go down

Six teens drown to save drowning teen; family ashore unable to help because THEY can't swim Empty Re: Six teens drown to save drowning teen; family ashore unable to help because THEY can't swim

Post by Alasted Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:54 am

I can't swim...
Alasted
Alasted

Back to top Go down

Six teens drown to save drowning teen; family ashore unable to help because THEY can't swim Empty Re: Six teens drown to save drowning teen; family ashore unable to help because THEY can't swim

Post by El Duderino Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:00 am

^^ really not ??? not even doggy paddle ??? I'd be really afraid of open water if couldn't swim...

and yeah I hear black people have a reputation of not being able to swim... or at least many of them... and if you grow up in a city with no lakes or public pools and schools don't teach swimming it makes sense...
El Duderino
El Duderino

Back to top Go down

Post by Alasted Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:08 am

Well, I used to doggy paddle a little bit, but no swimming.

Although I suppose that being born and raised in Hawaii, that's a skill that I really should have... -_-
Alasted
Alasted

Back to top Go down

Post by damkira Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:35 am

El Duderino wrote:^^ really not ??? not even doggy paddle ??? I'd be really afraid of open water if couldn't swim...

and yeah I hear black people have a reputation of not being able to swim... or at least many of them... and if you grow up in a city with no lakes or public pools and schools don't teach swimming it makes sense...

I think most cities have public pools.. and most apartment complexes do as well. I know not all schools can afford a pool but it seems this would be one of the most important lessons in physical education.
damkira
damkira

Back to top Go down

Post by El Duderino Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:39 am

yeah having pools and lakes around is one thing... having someone motivate you to actually learn swimming is a different story... and then again swimming in a pool and swimming in the ocean or a river with a current is also very different...
El Duderino
El Duderino

Back to top Go down

Post by dsister Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:04 am

I have to say. They have better friends then parents...
dsister
dsister

Character sheet
Health:
Six teens drown to save drowning teen; family ashore unable to help because THEY can't swim Left_bar_bleue15/15Six teens drown to save drowning teen; family ashore unable to help because THEY can't swim Empty_bar_bleue  (15/15)
Magic:
Six teens drown to save drowning teen; family ashore unable to help because THEY can't swim Left_bar_bleue5/6Six teens drown to save drowning teen; family ashore unable to help because THEY can't swim Empty_bar_bleue  (5/6)
EXP: 10

Back to top Go down

Post by zex Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:23 am

To graduate from my school you need to pass a swimming aptitude test, if you don't pass it you have to take swimming as sport until you do-

I'm not a good swimmer, in fact I'm a pretty crap one, but at least I know that I can maintain myself afloat for a couple minutes...not that I'd enter any river, I hate water.

Kinda weird that no one could swim in there
zex
zex

Back to top Go down

Post by c03n3nj0 Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:37 am

That sucks. Really, if I were a parent i'd go in to help anyways, rather drown than watch my kids drown -_-

I know how to swim... but never been to any rivers or the ocean deeper the 6 feet.
c03n3nj0
c03n3nj0

Character sheet
Health:
Six teens drown to save drowning teen; family ashore unable to help because THEY can't swim Left_bar_bleue25/25Six teens drown to save drowning teen; family ashore unable to help because THEY can't swim Empty_bar_bleue  (25/25)
Magic:
Six teens drown to save drowning teen; family ashore unable to help because THEY can't swim Left_bar_bleue0/0Six teens drown to save drowning teen; family ashore unable to help because THEY can't swim Empty_bar_bleue  (0/0)
EXP: 9

Back to top Go down

Post by Mako Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:42 am

Out of ALL those people how could none of them swim? I mean come on...

It is still very sad though to hear they all died. Sad
Mako
Mako
Admin

Character sheet
Health:
Six teens drown to save drowning teen; family ashore unable to help because THEY can't swim Left_bar_bleue20/20Six teens drown to save drowning teen; family ashore unable to help because THEY can't swim Empty_bar_bleue  (20/20)
Magic:
Six teens drown to save drowning teen; family ashore unable to help because THEY can't swim Left_bar_bleue0/0Six teens drown to save drowning teen; family ashore unable to help because THEY can't swim Empty_bar_bleue  (0/0)
EXP: 3

http://gonintendo.com/index.php

Back to top Go down

Post by Wesslewoggle Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:59 am

We should all know how to swim automatically like dogs or cats.

Wesslewoggle

Back to top Go down

Post by El Duderino Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:21 pm

^^ We do... but sadly that instinct is lost very fast...
El Duderino
El Duderino

Back to top Go down

Post by B4L Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:58 pm

That's sad....farted up too. Swimming should come natural just kick legs and swing arms forward hell enough motion without panicing you'll stay afloat...
B4L
B4L

Back to top Go down

Post by El Duderino Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:47 pm

Someone gonna take this as a reason to make a "Wii Swimming Lessons" now ??? Razz

... yes Im a evil bastard... I know...
El Duderino
El Duderino

Back to top Go down

Post by KingFate Sat Aug 07, 2010 2:30 am

Wow, that's just sad. Not ONE person knew how to swim? That's just embarrassing.
KingFate
KingFate

Back to top Go down

Post by Ssenkahdavic Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:22 pm

If you cannot swim....

Spoiler:

Ssenkahdavic
Ssenkahdavic

http://www.wekillmobs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by koyotecat Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:22 pm

That's kinda sad actually.
Also you would think that at least one amongst a group that big would know how to swim.
koyotecat
koyotecat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down