What would you do if you hear a banshee crying?

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

What would you do if you hear a banshee crying?

Post by pichu on Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:25 pm

OMG RUN AWAY?
avatar
pichu

Posts : 1785
Points : 760
Join date : 2008-09-29
Age : 25
Location : NY

Character sheet
Health:
25/25  (25/25)
Magic:
0/0  (0/0)
EXP: 0

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What would you do if you hear a banshee crying?

Post by MesoZombie on Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:44 pm

nothing but ask if i was the one about to die, they are not evil in most cases bu warning you of impending doom for you or one you love

running only mean that you will travel blind on that road
avatar
MesoZombie

Posts : 851
Points : 55
Join date : 2008-09-29
Age : 33

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What would you do if you hear a banshee crying?

Post by pichu on Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:26 pm

^ I know.. I was kidding about the part where I said "OMG RUN AWAY".
avatar
pichu

Posts : 1785
Points : 760
Join date : 2008-09-29
Age : 25
Location : NY

Character sheet
Health:
25/25  (25/25)
Magic:
0/0  (0/0)
EXP: 0

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What would you do if you hear a banshee crying?

Post by skeezer on Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:09 pm

What the hell is a banshee?
avatar
skeezer

Posts : 1461
Points : 716
Join date : 2008-10-01
Age : 25
Location : New York

Character sheet
Health:
15/15  (15/15)
Magic:
10/10  (10/10)
EXP: 0

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What would you do if you hear a banshee crying?

Post by B4L on Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:12 pm

........And I thought I was random

_________________
avatar
B4L

Posts : 1187
Points : 621
Join date : 2008-10-01
Age : 29
Location : Hell

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What would you do if you hear a banshee crying?

Post by pichu on Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:14 pm

skeezer wrote:What the hell is a banshee?



FEAR IT.... FEAR IT!
Brawl4life wrote:........And I thought I was random


eleventy two. bounce
avatar
pichu

Posts : 1785
Points : 760
Join date : 2008-09-29
Age : 25
Location : NY

Character sheet
Health:
25/25  (25/25)
Magic:
0/0  (0/0)
EXP: 0

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What would you do if you hear a banshee crying?

Post by Luinil on Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:48 pm

Pichu wrote:eleventy two. bounce
That would be the birthday after Bilbo ran off to Rivendell. He ran off at the ripe old age of Eleventy-one.

_________________


Unsight: Like 7 minutes. That's like a year in internet time.
avatar
Luinil
Admin

Posts : 2366
Points : 1920
Join date : 2008-10-01
Age : 33

Character sheet
Health:
15/15  (15/15)
Magic:
0/0  (0/0)
EXP: 0

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What would you do if you hear a banshee crying?

Post by pichu on Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:18 pm

Bluinil wrote:
Pichu wrote:eleventy two. bounce
That would be the birthday after Bilbo ran off to Rivendell. He ran off at the ripe old age of Eleventy-one.

Poor Bilbo.
avatar
pichu

Posts : 1785
Points : 760
Join date : 2008-09-29
Age : 25
Location : NY

Character sheet
Health:
25/25  (25/25)
Magic:
0/0  (0/0)
EXP: 0

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What would you do if you hear a banshee crying?

Post by El Duderino on Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:34 pm

^^ why poor Bilbo ??? He didn´t age much until then anyway... also Hobbits don´t age as fast as we do...
avatar
El Duderino

Posts : 1706
Points : -999407
Join date : 2008-09-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What would you do if you hear a banshee crying?

Post by pichu on Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:27 pm

I never read the hobbit.. so I guess I'll assume Bilbo is a turtle.
avatar
pichu

Posts : 1785
Points : 760
Join date : 2008-09-29
Age : 25
Location : NY

Character sheet
Health:
25/25  (25/25)
Magic:
0/0  (0/0)
EXP: 0

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What would you do if you hear a banshee crying?

Post by MesoZombie on Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:34 am

also the ring was the big reason he didn't age very quickly b/c even at the tree it was noted he had reached a longer life then most hobbits
avatar
MesoZombie

Posts : 851
Points : 55
Join date : 2008-09-29
Age : 33

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What would you do if you hear a banshee crying?

Post by Luinil on Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:52 am

^This is true. It was a very peculiar birthday number, as only a few hobbits have lived to that, and even fewer have lived past that, plus the number is fun. Only the Old Took had been more famous and lived longer than Bilbo. The Old Took lived to 130. Most hobbits believed Bilbo to have run off and died somewhere, but Frodo and the other three hobbits knew other wise. At the end of the Return of the King, Sam and Merry and Pippin see Bilbo, Frodo, Gandalf, Elrond, Galadriel, and one or two others (maybe) set sail on Bilbo's 131st Birthday. Thereby eclipsing The Old Took himself.

I don't know if that is common knowledge to the other hobbits though, as only Sam, Merry, and Pippin were witnesses there.

Also the Movie does a terrible job with the sense of time passing. Everything in the movie just happens, one thing right after another. In the book it took a very long time to set everything in motion, and for everything to finish.

_________________


Unsight: Like 7 minutes. That's like a year in internet time.
avatar
Luinil
Admin

Posts : 2366
Points : 1920
Join date : 2008-10-01
Age : 33

Character sheet
Health:
15/15  (15/15)
Magic:
0/0  (0/0)
EXP: 0

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What would you do if you hear a banshee crying?

Post by El Duderino on Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:07 am

^^ Agreed... except for one minor point... technically the oldest Hobbit was Gollum... not a shire Hobbit but a Hobbit non the less and well over a thousand years of age before he dies... his history is wildly left out of the movies... I hear they also made some scenes with Tom Bombadil but Peter Jackson decided the movies where long enough so the entire Old-Forest / Barrow-Downs storyline was cut...

Now who is the Nerdiest of all ???
avatar
El Duderino

Posts : 1706
Points : -999407
Join date : 2008-09-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What would you do if you hear a banshee crying?

Post by Luinil on Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:26 am

I am still. At least in Tolkien Mythology. Gollum was not a hobbit, but a similar "creature" before the ring took him. Hobbits notoriously don't like water, Gollum's people did. The only hobbits that like water and other small water craft are the Hobbits that live in Brandybuck villiage in Buckland. Most hobbits considered them to be a little "off" for liking the water. The story is that Frodo's father died in a boating accident because Drogo Baggins was fat (for a hobbit even). Drogo Baggins would not have been in that boat except for the fact that he married a Brandybuck. But if that had not happened we would not have Bilbo adopting Frodo and passing the ring onto him...

Technically though... Bilbo never dies. He passes from this world and lives on, as Frodo does. "Going to the West" is much like going to Heaven.

It is regrettable that they did not include the Old Forest or Barrow Downs scenes in the movie. They would have been great additions imho. They did add small scenes from those arcs into the special edition dvd in Fangorn forest however... Though it was Treebeard and not Tom Bombadil that did the singing/rhyming in those scenes...

_________________


Unsight: Like 7 minutes. That's like a year in internet time.
avatar
Luinil
Admin

Posts : 2366
Points : 1920
Join date : 2008-10-01
Age : 33

Character sheet
Health:
15/15  (15/15)
Magic:
0/0  (0/0)
EXP: 0

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What would you do if you hear a banshee crying?

Post by El Duderino on Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:41 am

^^ I know all that but Gollum was a Hobbit... not a classic shire hobbit but a hobbit.

From Wikipedia:

"The Fellowship of the Ring, the first volume of The Lord of the Rings, introduces the idea that Gollum had once been a member of the secluded branch of the early Stoorish Hobbits and had been named Sméagol."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gollum

Stoorish Hobbots... there you have it, a hobbit is a hobbit no matter what clan or ethnicity... I win you lose... you might still be then nerdiest in Tolkien Mythology but your not all knowing... now bow down in shame...
avatar
El Duderino

Posts : 1706
Points : -999407
Join date : 2008-09-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What would you do if you hear a banshee crying?

Post by MesoZombie on Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:51 am

she still can flip you b/c she has a poit the oldest hobbit will still be bilbo since he never did die and has a few years on sam and frodo (you cant forget sam gets the ride b/c even if it was a short time he did bear the ring)

so he will never die just getting older and older with out aging in the land the elves let him travel to where as gollum did in fact die
avatar
MesoZombie

Posts : 851
Points : 55
Join date : 2008-09-29
Age : 33

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What would you do if you hear a banshee crying?

Post by El Duderino on Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:06 am

^^ Yeah but thats hypothetical... without the ring now one knows how old they will become... since the story ends there its all pure speculation... maybe their ship sinks and they all die the next day... we have to stick with facts here, fact is Gollum was a hobbit and he was well over a thousand years old making him the oldest hobbit in the book...
avatar
El Duderino

Posts : 1706
Points : -999407
Join date : 2008-09-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What would you do if you hear a banshee crying?

Post by MesoZombie on Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:06 pm

That’s the catch dude it never says they do or don’t, and since it cant be disproven it can be called a fact b/c fact is a subjective term, for the longest time it was a fact that the earth was flat…..

It was also a fact that the earth was the center of the universe


True in time they were proved false but for a time it was believed to be a fact


This is a case that you cant proove wrong, so I still stand by the fact that bilbo was , will, and is the oldest hobbit creature
avatar
MesoZombie

Posts : 851
Points : 55
Join date : 2008-09-29
Age : 33

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What would you do if you hear a banshee crying?

Post by El Duderino on Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:16 pm

^^ Thats a bullshit argument meso and you know better... the Bible never says Jesus had a pink pony named Mike... if anybody where to propose that we need to worship Mike too that person would need to prove the existence of Mike... saying the Bible nether confirms nor denies it makes a weak point...

Thats why we work with what we facts... Tolkien isn´t alive anymore so what he has written is fact and unchangeable... the only thing that could change and prove you point right is if you find a lost Tolkien book where it clearly says that Bilbo rode off on a skateboard and lived to be a million years... then Bilbo would be the oldest Hobbit in the Tolkien books...but just assuming that is stupid and until you can find any hard evidence in Tolkiens writings that that is the case, Gollum remains the oldest Hobbit... because it says so clearly in the books... printed in black on white... without a doubt...

it doesn´t say a lot of things in the book but if you want to tell other people its a fact that Bilbo would have (theoretically in YOUR version of the story) become the oldest Hobbit ever you better find some hard evidence in Tolkies writing... else you are just imagining things and presenting them as facts...

Also it never really was a fact that the earth was round, it was common conception presented as fact... nothing else... fact is not a subjective term in any way... many things are labeled as that are not.. like the flat earth... but let say you take a gun now, point it at your foot and then shoot yourself in the foot... ether you shoot yourself in the foot or you don´t... no gray area... no objective or subjective way of looking at it... ether you fired the gun and the bullet hit your foot or you didn´t... just like with Tolkien... ether he wrote that a Hobbit lived to be older than Gollum or he didn`t... and that he did not write of a Hobbit older than Gollum is a fact... everything else is your version and imagination... telling me I need to prove your argument wrong when you can´t prove it right is weak argumentation...
avatar
El Duderino

Posts : 1706
Points : -999407
Join date : 2008-09-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What would you do if you hear a banshee crying?

Post by MesoZombie on Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:57 pm

fact is a subjective term dude since its based in a system of language that is also subjective

the word could very well change meaning based on the current evidence presented and you know it

the atom was the smallest bit of matter until we smashed one and found tons of more crap inside of it


Fact is probable one of the most subjective words in the humane language, it is right up there with love and hate
avatar
MesoZombie

Posts : 851
Points : 55
Join date : 2008-09-29
Age : 33

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What would you do if you hear a banshee crying?

Post by El Duderino on Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:00 pm

^^ then please shoot yourself in the foot and tell me that was subjective... ether you did shoot your foot and thats a fact or you didn´t... no room for interpretation...
avatar
El Duderino

Posts : 1706
Points : -999407
Join date : 2008-09-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What would you do if you hear a banshee crying?

Post by MesoZombie on Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:50 am

^plenty of room could look at my foot and say i shot it with mind bullets or i could pull out a paper clip and shoot it with a rubber band gun thing or i could fire a 9mm into the flesh


or i could make it look like i shot myself in the foot with a little stage makeup

i could very easily trick you into thinking i shoot my foot, when in truth i didnt....subjective dude once again

its back to my point your using subjective language to try to prove a subjective point, and since its all open for self interpretation until you can find a passage that disproves it it is a fact
avatar
MesoZombie

Posts : 851
Points : 55
Join date : 2008-09-29
Age : 33

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What would you do if you hear a banshee crying?

Post by El Duderino on Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:07 am

MesoZombie wrote:^plenty of room could look at my foot and say i shot it with mind bullets or i could pull out a paper clip and shoot it with a rubber band gun thing or i could fire a 9mm into the flesh


or i could make it look like i shot myself in the foot with a little stage makeup

i could very easily trick you into thinking i shoot my foot, when in truth i didnt....subjective dude once again

its back to my point your using subjective language to try to prove a subjective point, and since its all open for self interpretation until you can find a passage that disproves it it is a fact

You fooled yourself there meso... it doesn´t matter what other people think you did or what you tell them... what you actually did is the fact is the truth... as you said what matters is what really happened and that is in no way subjective... I hope you end up in court some day for catslaughter... I will be really amused to see you trying to convince people that even though there is hard evidence and FACTS that prove you did it, it is still all subjective... you will fry and I will laugh...

Its not my fault that people like you rape words like fact or truth and try to pull of the old "everything is subjective" bullcrap... if you go outsider now and trow a rock into the air it will fall down... that´s a fact and the truth... its not subjective and it will happen no matter how often you do it... there is no different version to it... no gray are... no subjective way of seeing it... if you try to argue with that your are clearly only trying to arguing semantics and avoiding the point at any cost...

Also for the last time stop telling me I have to disprove your point when you can´t even come close to proving it... when lui proposed Gullom is not a Hobbit I wasn´t 100% sure but researched and brought evidence and FACTS to light that prove Gollum is a Hobbit... BECAUSE THAT IS HOW INTELLIGENT DEBATES WORK... you think you can work in a space without rules and make points with out any basis in reality and tell other people they have to prove you wrong... YOU show me the passage in a Tolkien book where it says black on white that a other Hobbit reached an age older than Gollum... if you cant do that its just your believe... believes are great and fun... lots of people really believe that they are Napoleon Bonaparte... and thats cool but it does not make them Napoleon in reality... the french army (or better what they call an army) will not move to the command of a crazy guy... if you think I am going to try to disprove something you can´t even come close to prove you can just as well ask me to disprove the pink pony Jesus had... because in your world Jesus had one until it can be disproven, making you just as believable as the people who think they are Napoleon...
avatar
El Duderino

Posts : 1706
Points : -999407
Join date : 2008-09-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What would you do if you hear a banshee crying?

Post by Luinil on Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:51 am

Bravo. The dude has a point. I think Jesus had a pink pony too. Only the pink pony in my world was striped and polka dotted.....

Anyways the dude wins this argument, even if I still would not call Gollum a "Hobbit" per se, he is a cousin of hobbits and was a live for an age (about 1000 years). However the next point of contention is if the Ring extends your life, or if it just keeps you alive twisting your soul until the point where you cannot die naturally...

It is a fact that Gollum would not have lived that long without being "consumed by the ring" and I do not entirely know what that means other than it taking hold of your thoughts and it being the one driving passion in your life. Now if that also means that it twists your soul into a heartless being, can that truly be called living? Rhetorical I assure you.

In any case while Gollum was alive for those 1000+ years, I was not referring to anything other than natural life span when I was talking about Bilbo being the oldest Hobbit. But then comes the counter-argument that Bilbo also possessed the ring for a great number of years. About 56 years he carried the ring. There is no telling what the ring can do to a person who carries it for only so long, then passes it to the next bearer of the ring. It could have extended his life in much the same way it extended Gollum's life. Gollum lived about 81 years after the ring passed out of his grasp [Bilbo was 55 when he found the ring, he was 111 when he passed it to Frodo. Frodo was 30 when he got the ring, he was 55 when he left Hobbitton.]

Now the argument could be made that Gollum was now not able to die from age, as he lived 83 years without the ring, never seeming to age. Bilbo however did age after he gave up the ring in the 20 years it took to destroy the ring. Also one must wonder if Gollum would have died anyways if the ring was destroyed. I can only guess at that, but I would say yes. Sauron was destroyed when the ring was destroyed, as his life force was tied to the ring. Gollum's life force must also have been tied to the ring, that is the only logical explanation for his long life after the ring passed on (81 years).

Also the final word goes to Tolkien who calls Bilbo the oldest hobbit in vague terms. He says clearly that Bilbo was 131 out lasting even the Old Took. The Old Took has been called the oldest hobbit, at least I believe so.

In which case that would destroy Dude's argument, in my view. Enough facts in this argument dude?

_________________


Unsight: Like 7 minutes. That's like a year in internet time.
avatar
Luinil
Admin

Posts : 2366
Points : 1920
Join date : 2008-10-01
Age : 33

Character sheet
Health:
15/15  (15/15)
Magic:
0/0  (0/0)
EXP: 0

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What would you do if you hear a banshee crying?

Post by MesoZombie on Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:21 am

"ts not my fault that people like you rape words like fact or truth and try to pull of the old "everything is subjective" bullcrap... if you go outsider now and trow a rock into the air it will fall down... that´s a fact and the truth... its not subjective and it will happen no matter how often you do it... there is no different version to it... no gray are... no subjective way of seeing it... if you try to argue with that your are clearly only trying to arguing semantics and avoiding the point at any cost..."
thats not true, but it does win the argument for another reason

i could in fact make the rock never come down

if i propel it with enough force it will leave the gravity of our planet, then if i aim it right it will never enter another one...it could just sail on forever....and that creates a catch 22 for me...if it does come down it wont be a fact that it will sail on forever but prove you right

if it dosnt come back down the fact that it is sail on still proves you right


dam you and stumbling that point
avatar
MesoZombie

Posts : 851
Points : 55
Join date : 2008-09-29
Age : 33

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What would you do if you hear a banshee crying?

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum