Night Societe
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

electoral vote.com

+4
PDF
Kenzomatic
MesoZombie
loro
8 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

electoral vote.com Empty electoral vote.com

Post by loro Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:32 am

As of October 1, 2008.

electoral vote.com Oct01

Obama: 286

McCain: 190

Tie: 62
loro
loro

Back to top Go down

electoral vote.com Empty Re: electoral vote.com

Post by MesoZombie Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:47 am

i think the whole process is stupid, we have the tech now, just count every vote as one, and at the end if he wins by one bam its game over
MesoZombie
MesoZombie

Back to top Go down

Post by loro Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:54 am

lol...you'll have no arguments from me on that one. The electoral college is a stupid system. But it's difficult to make changes to the status quo unless something big happens. And that probably won't happen this year.
loro
loro

Back to top Go down

Post by MesoZombie Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:00 am

i understand why at one time it was neccessary, okay it was hard to tally every vote and summing it up was simple

but anymore even if there are more people in one state the other with fewer voters might actually have more registered and active when the vote comes ya know?
MesoZombie
MesoZombie

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenzomatic Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:38 am

I like the Electoral College for many reason most importantly is states rights. The entire idea is that the state will chose who it votes for president there by being a little more sovereign. Having A direct vote bypasses the state so instead of congress, the US representatives from all the states, choosing who will be representing the sates as a group, you would have the people choosing who represents them as a whole. That is the difference between nationalizing everything from education to rights to works and unionization to gay marriage and much much more and not haveing to join a union in Floridia to work a job that has unionization.

Even More important then that is how sections of the US are represented, If every person in New York and California say we should do something a certian way does that mean that based on sheer size of population every location in the US no matter how big land wise or idelogiclly seperated should have to do it. Of-course this is the reason for the senate, and another reason for the electoral college. The whole idea is New York, California, and Floridia don't represent the entire country. Rode Island, Connecticut, and most the states between the east cost and west cost have to represented and that includes in the presidential election. Rural America and the city are very different places.

Sates are very different when it comes to the rule of law and ideology, those differences must be represented.
Kenzomatic
Kenzomatic
Admin

Character sheet
Health:
electoral vote.com Left_bar_bleue100/100electoral vote.com Empty_bar_bleue  (100/100)
Magic:
electoral vote.com Left_bar_bleue10/10electoral vote.com Empty_bar_bleue  (10/10)
EXP: 0

https://nightsociete.rpg-board.net

Back to top Go down

Post by MesoZombie Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:41 am

i am still a firm believer in every vote should count

we as a nation are picking who we want to lead, so majority rule but with every vote counted
MesoZombie
MesoZombie

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenzomatic Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:50 am

Every vote does count in your state.
Kenzomatic
Kenzomatic
Admin

Character sheet
Health:
electoral vote.com Left_bar_bleue100/100electoral vote.com Empty_bar_bleue  (100/100)
Magic:
electoral vote.com Left_bar_bleue10/10electoral vote.com Empty_bar_bleue  (10/10)

Back to top Go down

Post by MesoZombie Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:03 am

yes but from there it gets goofy and has the potential to fail

say indiana has 687k potential voters --numbers are not accurate
but only 505k vote

then say ohio has 800k potential voters
and of that 495k vote

so even if there were more voters in IN more votes get counted from OH towards the results….

So in a system that says every vote counts, every vote does not really count
MesoZombie
MesoZombie

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenzomatic Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:16 am

you should live in Washington DC or Puerto Rico
Kenzomatic
Kenzomatic
Admin

Character sheet
Health:
Magic:

Back to top Go down

Post by MesoZombie Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:23 am

why is that?
MesoZombie
MesoZombie

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenzomatic Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:35 am

their votes don't count at all (for pres), unless something has changed.
Kenzomatic
Kenzomatic
Admin

Character sheet
Health:
Magic:

Back to top Go down

Post by MesoZombie Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:46 am

man that really sucks
MesoZombie
MesoZombie

Back to top Go down

Post by PDF Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:45 pm

I cant wait for the debate between Palin and Biden

If it goes how I think it will then we will see a huge Obama spike. Who knows Palin could surprise me.
PDF
PDF

Back to top Go down

Post by fkusumot Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:08 am

My vote will probably count more than it ever has this election. That's because I'm in Colorado.

I like fivethirtyeight.com better. It has some good commentary.
fkusumot
fkusumot

Back to top Go down

Post by MesoZombie Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:19 am

i really need to reg some where
MesoZombie
MesoZombie

Back to top Go down

Post by fkusumot Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:30 am

Kenzomatic wrote:I like the Electoral College for many reason most importantly is states rights.

But the EC is just a by-product of the rewriting of the Articles of Confederation and the things you stated, i.e., little states being swamped by big states. Little states are OVER-REPRESENTED in the House for the same reason.

All the EC does now is ensure that a few swing states get pandered to, especially in an election year. States that are safe, whether red or blue, don't get shit. Fuck Iowa and their fucking corn subsidies. Screw Kansas and the rest of the bible, uhm, wheat belt, and all their farm welfare. And fuck the "America, love it or leave" bullshit they pull in the South to appeal to all the racists.

Sorry, I don't think the EC is helpful anymore. In my ranting I may have alluded to a few of the problems that I believe are serious enough to warrant getting rid of the EC. Feel free to disagree. That's just me. But fuck those corn subsidies in Iowa just because the first caucus is held there every year. Just fuck that.
fkusumot
fkusumot

Back to top Go down

Post by MesoZombie Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:49 am

^i would like to hear more FK, i don't follow what you are saying, but i think we might be in agreement is not working anymore
MesoZombie
MesoZombie

Back to top Go down

Post by fkusumot Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:04 am

mesoteto wrote:^i would like to hear more FK, i don't follow what you are saying, but i think we might be in agreement is not working anymore

Which part don't you understand? States that have close races get the most attention. States that are safe for a party, like Texas for the Republicans or California for the Democrats, get almost no attention at all during the presidential campaigns. Iowa gets the ethanol subsidy every year because it's hard to campaign there during the caucuses if you've voted against the ethanol subsidy.
fkusumot
fkusumot

Back to top Go down

Post by MesoZombie Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:17 am

gotcha ya, and i agree, but that i think has more to do with the media mentality that only strife and conflict are worthy news material

which in part is true, there is reason most people don't watch the grass grow
MesoZombie
MesoZombie

Back to top Go down

Post by loro Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:42 am

lol...I love how every time I post this graph it becomes a debate/discussion about the EC.

I can see both sides of this issue. Take for instance, Montana. It's a huge state with a lot of natural resources. But the population is very low there. If the EC were not in place then the whole country could elect someone who was anti-Montana or pro-exploit Montana (it's a hypothetical....just bear with me). Montana would be more powerless than they are now to prevent major legislation that could adverseley affect their way of life.

I'm not saying it's a perfect system...but I think it is based on the fundamentals of a Republic....rather than a democracy.

I'm more concerned about how are vote is being taken, whether it is being recorded properly, and if there is a way to verify that people's vote counted the way they wanted it to. The fact that voting machines are hackable...or that punch-card based voting systems are inconsistent is certainly a problem. If I can conduct my banking online...why can't I do the same for my vote? Not necessarily at home....but with a very long encryption key sent to 15-20 different independent verifiers as well as the main voting system to ensure that no votes were "lost" or "adjusted".
loro
loro

Back to top Go down

Post by loro Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:56 am

As of October 2nd, 2008.

electoral vote.com Oct02

Obama: 338 (+52)

McCain: 185 (-5)

Tie: 15 (-47)
  • Nevada has gone from slightly McCain to slightly Obama.

• Texas and Missouri went from Strong McCain to weak McCain.

• Florida and Ohio went from a tie to slightly Obama.

• Both Iowa and Minnesota are now strong Obama.

It's obvious right now which way the pendulum is swinging. I'm not sure how much farther it will go. I expect the media to begin talking about Obama's campaign recovery and how he has regained ground since the losses he faced this Summer. Which means that it won't be long until the media backlash kicks into gear and brings that pendulum crashing back the other way. The only question is in what attitude that pendulum will be once the election hits.
loro
loro

Back to top Go down

Post by fkusumot Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:34 am

That's crazy strong. It's looking more like Mondale vs. Reagan, McGovern vs. Nixon or Dole vs. Clinton. But all of those races were against popular incumbents. Basically the challengers were just sent out to die, and to help in the Senate and House races. I've never followed a race by the EC map before until it was the last week of the campaign so this is very interesting.

It usually starts to tighten up some during the last three days (Nov. 1-3).

I'm still waiting for the insane attack ads from the 527's. Some of the Willie Horton or Swiftboat type stuff. It will happen or something has changed in American politics that I missed.

Anyways, I believe Obama needs at least a 10% lead in the polls to have any hope at all of winning. When it comes time to pull the lever I believe that racism will play a part in which candidate is selected.
fkusumot
fkusumot

Back to top Go down

Post by MesoZombie Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:59 am

do you feel race with play a bigger part then sex, b/c i am a firm believer that the "palin" effect is starting to wear off

"but she is still very hot"
MesoZombie
MesoZombie

Back to top Go down

Post by fkusumot Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:43 pm

mesoteto wrote:do you feel race with play a bigger part then sex, b/c i am a firm believer that the "palin" effect is starting to wear off

"but she is still very hot"

She's hot, and she graduated from High School the same year I did. Amazing.

But yeah, people are voting for Obama or McCain, not Joe or Sarah. Historically VP picks haven't decided the outcome. As for the Palin effect wearing off, she now has the highest negatives of all four. When she was at the convention she had the lowest negatives of all four. So yeah, the effect has worn off and then some.
fkusumot
fkusumot

Back to top Go down

Post by MesoZombie Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:07 pm

She still gets ton of press coverage, I mean anything that has a bun and glasses is marked towards her , I mean that has to have some carry over back to John
MesoZombie
MesoZombie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next